Non-Immigrant Visas

The United States immigration system contains numerous types of non-immigrant visas, or temporary visas, for individuals coming to the United States for a limited period of time. Some non-immigrant visas provide foreign nationals with temporary work authorization while others afford individuals the opportunity to visit or study in the United States. The Law Offices of Andrew Wood helps people to obtain and renew all types of temporary visas.

  • B-1 and B-2 visas are for individuals visiting the U.S. temporarily. B-1 visas are for business visitors coming to the U.S. for business purposes such as consulting with associates or attending a convention or conference. B-2 visas are for tourists and people visiting family and friends. Call our office to determine whether you are eligible for a B visa.
  • F-1 visas are for students enrolled in academic institutions in the United States.
  • J-1 visas are for exchange visitors, and individuals on J visas are often students, researchers, or trainees. Some individuals on J visas must return to their home country upon completion of their program for two years before they can apply for U.S. permanent residence or change to many non-immigrant visas.
  • Waivers of the J-visa two-year home residency requirement can be applied for in certain instances, including: 1) if the individual returning to his or her country would suffer persecution, 2) if exceptional hardship would result to the exchange visitor’s U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or child, 3) if the exchange visitor’s home country issues a no-objection letter, 4) if a waiver is requested by an interested U.S. federal agency, or 5) for international medical graduates, a government agency interested in the physician’s employment in a medically underserved area may recommend a waiver.

If you are already in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa, we welcome the opportunity to discuss your immigration related post-educational program plans. Please call our office to schedule a free consultation.

Call 412-291-8136 for a consultation, or click here to contact us.